A couple days ago, Sports List of the Day looked at how long it took every NHL franchise to win their first Stanley Cup.
The L.A. Kings and St. Louis Blues led that list – and this list too, the longest current Stanley Cup title droughts. That’s because neither of these teams (through Game 5 of the 2012 Stanley Cup championship) have ever won a Cup. They’ve been sans title since their foundings in 1967-68.
But look who else joins them with a 44-year Cup drought, one of the oldest and most storied franchises in the NHL: the Toronto Maple Leafs. They haven’t made the postseason in seven years either. That surely can’t help.
At least the Leafs have 11 championships in their long history. That eases a little bit of their fans’ pain.
The Vancover Canucks and Buffalo Sabres, like the Kings and Blues, don’t have any though and, too, have gone over 40 years without kissing or drinking from Lord Stanley’s Cup.
Here are the number of years since every NHL team hoisted the Cup in victory (if they ever did).
List coming up…
Follow me on Twitter @VinGetz.
They are also owners of the longest current playoff appearance streak – 20 seasons in a row. If the Red Wings make the postseason in 2012 (which they will), they will tie for the fifth longest playoff appearance streak of all time.
Those San Jose Sharks are next with a current seven consecutive extended seasons. They are barely hanging on to the seventh slot as of the date of this post.
What about the flip side of the coin?
Which teams are mired in the longest postseason droughts?
It looks like the Florida Panthers will end their streak of 10 years hitting the links early. They’ve got a good shot at the Southeast this year.
Follow me on Twitter @VinGetz.
CURRENT PLAYOFF APPEARANCE STREAKS
|1.||Detroit Red Wings||20||1990-91 thru 2010-11|
|2.||San Jose Sharks||7||2003-04 thru 2010-11|
|3.||Pittsburgh Penguins||5||2006-07 thru 2010-11|
|4.||Boston Bruins||4||2007-08 thru 2010-11|
|4.||Montreal Canadiens||4||2007-08 thru 2010-11|
|4.||Philadelphia Flyers||4||2007-08 thru 2010-11|
|4.||Washington Capitals||4||2007-08 thru 2010-11|
|8.||Chicago Blackhawks||3||2008-09 thru 2010-11|
|8.||Vancouver Canucks||3||2008-09 thru 2010-11|
|10.||Buffalo Sabres||2||2009-10 thru 2010-11|
|10.||Los Angeles Kings||2||2009-10 thru 2010-11|
|10.||Nashville Predators||2||2009-10 thru 2010-11|
|10.||Phoenix Coyotes||2||2009-10 thru 2010-11|
|14.||New York Rangers||1||2010-11|
|14.||Tampa Bay Lightning||1||2010-11|
CURRENT PLAYOFF APPEARANCE DROUGHTS
|2.||Toronto Maple Leafs||6||2003-04|
|4.||New York Islanders||4||2006-07|
|4.||Winnipeg Jets (Atlanta Thrashers)||4||2006-07|
|8.||Columbus Blue Jackets||2||2008-09|
|8.||St. Louis Blues||2||2008-09|
|12.||New Jersey Devils||1||2009-10|
That got me thinking, how long has it been for each NBA team since their last title? Well, wikipedia beat me to it on this one, but today’s Sports List of the Day filters it down for you. Wiki’s got all the info on the major sports’ playoff appearance, playoff win and title droughts. I’ve provided those wiki links below for further reading.
For teams in this year’s playoffs, also provided are Bleacher Report 2011 NBA Playoff coverage links. Great stuff.
Current NBA Title Droughts (through 2010)
1. Sacramento Kings – 59 years (1951, as Rochester Royals)
2. Atlanta Hawks – 52 years (1958, as St. Louis Hawks)
3. Phoenix Suns – 42 years (Never won)
4. Cleveland Cavaliers – 40 years (Never won)
5. Los Angeles Clippers – 40 years (Never won)
6. Milwaukee Bucks – 39 years (1971)
7. New York Knicks – 37 years (1973)
8. Utah Jazz – 36 years (Never won)
9. Golden State Warriors – 35 years (1975)
10. Denver Nuggets – 34 years (Never won)
11. Indiana Pacers – 34 years (Never won)
12. New Jersey Nets – 34 years (Never won)
13. Portland Trail Blazers – 33 years (1977)
14. Washington Wizards – 32 years (1978, as Washington Bullets)
15. Oklahoma City Thunder – 31 years (1979 as Seattle SuperSonics)
16. Dallas Mavericks – 30 years (Never won)
17. Philadelphia 76ers- 27 years (1983)
18. New Orleans Hornets – 22 years (Never won)
19. Minnesota Timberwolves – 21 years (Never won)
20. Orlando Magic – 21 years (Never won)
21. Houston Rockets – 15 years (1995)
22. Memphis Grizzlies – 15 years (Never won)
23. Toronto Raptors – 15 years (Never won)
24. Chicago Bulls – 12 years (1998)
25. Detroit Pistons – 6 years (2004)
26. Charlotte Bobcats – 6 years (Never won)
27. Miami Heat – 4 years (2006)
28. San Antonio Spurs – 3 years (2007)
29. Boston Celtics – 2 years (2008)
30. Los Angeles Lakers – 0 years (Current Back-to-Back Champions)